[Spice-devel] keypress-delay issue

Jared Kwek jekwek88 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:19:40 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Switching email addresses...I thought I'd follow up to see if there is any
interest in working on this.  The only way for me to be able to play with
the keypress-delay value is to recompile the code, something that users
like myself are not too keen on doing.  But if this value were user
configurable (at least), then users would be able to tune it based on their
situation (going across the network vs. running locally).  Any thoughts or
interest from the developers?

Thanks again,
Jared Kwek

http://serverfault.com/questions/624690/windows-guest-on-kvm-qemu-suffers-horrible-key-lag

> Yes I saw this too when researching. However my guest is Fedora 21, not
> Windows.
>

> > (iirc,
> > using a usb keyboard would solve it too)
>

> I did see this also and played around with changing the input type of the
> keyboard to USB in my xml file. However it appears that QEMU creates the
> PS/2 keyboard regardless and thus I end up with two keyboards and not sure
> which it is using. I saw the same lag with this approach.
>

> > I am not convinced at this point that the
> > keypress-delay is problematic. Do you have a particular use case, or
> > simply text
> > typing?
>

> Use case is any sort of regular typing in a VM, whether in gedit, vi in a
> terminal window, or typing an email in a browser window. It is a slight
but
> noticeable delay when typing in the VM vs. on the physical host. The VM is
> running locally so I don't need there to be any delay to compensate for
> network conditions.
>
> In the link from 2014 I previously posted, the person who recompiled with
> 10ms value for keypress-delay saw a huge improvement in the overall feel.
My

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-October/011317.html

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2014-June/016992.html