[Spice-devel] keypress-delay issue

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Tue Jun 23 11:30:38 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 02:23 AM, Jared Kwek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I worked directly with Victor to test out his patch and wanted to
> report back to the mailing list on my results.  I set
>  SPICE_KEYPRESS_DELAY=10 and saw an improvement in the response time
> when I was typing.  I was using Fedora 21 in the client with Gnome 3
> and tried typing in LibreOffice Writer and in the Gmail web mail
> client on Firefox on my Fedora 22 VM as the SPICE server.  The lag is
> somewhat noticeable with the keypress delay set to 100, such that when
> I compare typing on a physical machine vs a SPICE session I can
> definitely feel the difference.  I say somewhat noticeable because it
> is not a huge difference; I can just feel a lag when typing.  With the
> 10 ms delay it felt more like real-time.
>
> I'm wondering where to go from here.  Victor did submit a patch for
> the environment variable, so that will be available as a workaround
> for those who know about it.  I guess it is up to you the developers
> if you want to make configuration or fix something more mainstream.
> There were a couple complaints about it on the mailing list that I dug
> up, but it doesn't sound like there's been much public outcry to fix
> it. Nevertheless, since I am presenting it as an issue, I'd be happy
> to do any further testing if anyone is interested in looking into it a
> bit further, as I would recommend it as something that should be
> addressed.

I believe I was one of those reports you dug up.  I had originally
compiled in the changed delay and found the experience much more
pleasant ; nothing is broken the way it is now, but the feel is
significantly improved with the reduced latency.

I would like a configurable for this setting, and it is implemented, as
I recall, as a widget property so at least at some level it is
configurable.

The environment variable approach that's floating would work but is so
hidden that the two of us would be the only ones on the planet using
it!  But aside from that, I'm all for it!

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield