[Spice-devel] Can SPICE be used as a terminal server?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Tue Jun 23 14:22:02 PDT 2015

Hello,

Situation: Trying to move away from an older Linux box where people log
in via VNC to run GUI applications: Each user has a dedicated TCP-port
for his/her VNC sessions. The problem with this setup is that it pretty
much contrains the system to a fixed set of users.

On the new server, we want to do it differently. The new server runs as a
virtual host in an RHEV environment.

I suppose one way would be to run XDMCP on the server and the let Linux
users access the server via a nested X servers and let Windows users use
Xming. But as far as I know, XDMCP is not very secure(?), and I'm not
sure if people can have GUI sessions running in the background this way.

So: Can SPICE be used to provide a terminal server enviroment: Any number
of users may connect to the and get a GUI session -- and (preferably) a
user can leave a session while it keeps running till (s)he re-connects.
Note: I'm not looking for a VDI solution: The users who log in share the
same operating system instance, so I'm not looking for a remote one-to-
one console.

If SPICE cannot be used for this: Does someone have suggestion(s) for
alternatives?

--
Regards,
Troels Arvin