[Spice-devel] keypress-delay issue

Jared Kwek jekwek88 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:50:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 2:41 AM, David Jaša <djasa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Čt, 2015-06-25 at 00:28 -0700, Jared Kwek wrote:
>> I don't think adjusting the latency based on measurements would be a
>> good alternative unless it could be done with confidence in those
>> measurements.  I think an easier method would be to set the
>> keypress-delay to a sane value by default and allow it as a
>> configuration item in case a person wants to tweak it.  Similar to how
>> compression works now with the SPICE protocol...
>
> IIRC the compression is set on connection initialization based on b/w
> measurement so this analogy supports Marc-André's approach more. (I can
> see that latency measurement is trickier than b/w).
>
> David

This may be the case, but I was more referring to the fact that I can
turn off image compression in the VM's XML configuration under the
graphics section.  In fact, gnome-boxes does this by default because
the assumption is that you are running the VM locally:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2013-March/msg14904.html.

Although I do think for the keypress delay use case that it makes
sense to put the configuration on the client side so that it can be
adjusted based on where you are connecting to the server.

Jared