[Spice-devel] UsbDk

Jason Kotzin jason at flirc.tv
Tue Mar 3 13:36:29 PST 2015

Spice Developers -

I have been watching the discussion on the libusb developer mailer and am absolutely intrigued. The number one issue I have my product is with windows usb device handling. Drivers and inf’s do not consistently work and with so many versions of windows and hardware, I have battled issue after issue. I’m at the point now where I’m considering re-writing all my firmware, and all my drivers to use a hid device for windows driverless communication (already started).

UsbDk sounds too good to be true.

I’m interested in playing with it, and have read through all the documentation, but am a bit unclear how everything works. Please let me know if this is correct:

1. Instal via msi package (I understand there is an alternative, but this is what I would use)
2. Ensure I have the libusb backend for UsbDk.
3. Done, my libusb on windows should now use the UsbDk filter driver.

Is that correct?

How do I tell windows not to fire up that ‘new hardware detected’ message. With UsbDkController.exe -r ID sn ?

Where can I find the libusb patches? I’m anxious to try this.

Thanks so much.

Very Sincerely,
Jason