[Spice-devel] Question about remote access for a physical machine

Andres Heinloo andres at gfz-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 10 07:40:36 PDT 2015

On 03/10/2015 02:11 PM, jpc00939 wrote:
> I am very curious about wether the feature that remote access for the
> physical machine is included.
> I have got some problem right now in remote access for physical machine.
> Hope that spice can work.
> If it is convienent for you. Thanks for replying me to give some
> information. I will be appricate.

Did you try Xspice? Just replace Xorg by Xspice and you will have remote
access using a Spice client. AFAIK it is not possible to have local and
remote access at the same time (a la teamviewer). Unfortunately Xspice
seemed to have memory allocation problems (memory leak?) that caused it
to crash every couple of days of heavy desktop usage. In a gigabit LAN,
the standard X protocol (eg., using XDMCP) works definitely better than
Spice, even full-screen video plays smoothly (using the xv extension?).
The major drawback of X protocol (compared to Spice) is that the session
ends when closing connection. Also, the X protocol requires very fast
network. I don't know how Spice performs with slow networks, never tried
that.

Regards,
Andres.