[Spice-devel] spice-server, logging and style

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 08:48:04 PST 2015

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:35:01PM +0200, Uri Lublin wrote:
> On 11/03/2015 05:11 PM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> I think we should distinguish between internal-errors (spice-server
> and maybe also qemu-kvm) and external-errors (spice-client and guest).
>
> For internal-errors, an unexpected behavior is indeed very likely
> due to a bug. We should assert.

I don't quite agree with that. We should never assert unless we really
don't have a choice. If some code in class A in spice-server
misuses class B, we should not assert if we can avoid it. Keep in mind
that assert() means that the user's VM and its data will go down. If
some API is misused, it's very useful to get notified about it, but
it's even better if we can deal with it gracefully rather than
penalizing a user for a programmer's error...