[Spice-devel] missing spicec client

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 08:46:14 PST 2015

Zdravím,

On Po, 2015-11-23 at 15:15 +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Martin Filo
> <martin.filo at bublifuk.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Spicec has been best spice client. It has nice user interface, no
> > annoying toolbar or icons, it has hotkeys for ungrab mouse and
> > fullscreen. Everything needed can be configured via command line. And it
> > hasn't much dependencies.
> > But Spicec has been removed as obsolete in spice 0.12.6. What is a
> > replacement for it?
> >
> > I tried spice-gtk, but for these reasons it's a worse client:
> > - My virtualization host has installed minimal needed set of programs. I
> > need install gtk libraries only for this one program there (which is a
> > small minus for spicy).
> > - It has (for me) a useless toolbar which only consumes space on my
> > screen. Hotkey for showing/hiding it will be nice.
> > - But much worse is that I can't ungrab mouse when I click on its
> > window. I tried google for finding hotkey to ungrab mouse but I didn't
> > find anything. Only way to ungrab mouse is to halt guest, which makes
> > this client absolutely useless.
> >
> > I tried virt-viewer too
> > - It depends on spice-gtk, gtk2, gtk3 and many other libraries
> > - It can't run because I am not using libvirt.
>
> Please, try remote-viewer (part of virt-viewer package).
>

> > So spicec has been obsolete without replacement. I need simple spice
> > client which can connect to address and port specified via command line,

remote-viewer spice://host:port/

> > with hotkeys for ungrab mouse and fullscreen.

ctrl+alt and F11 (when you have focus out of canvas). You can get
shift-F1[12] as you're used to if you launch the client using .vv file
(hm, it would make sense to mirror the .vv file configuration options in
--spice-* CLI options 1:1 ...)

> It would be nice if it
> > didn't have too many dependencies similar to spicec.

I you're fine building yourself, you should be able to get remote-viewer
without libvirt dependencies. You won't be able to get rid of gtk
dependencies however, achieving that would mean writing a new client on
top of spice-glib (which did Iordan Iordanov in hist aSpice Android
client) or just spice-protocol (which some KDE people tried to to create
qtspice library but left project after short time).

David