[Spice-devel] [NSIS] packaging: add Makefile, spec file, jenkins automation

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 04:42:36 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:22:11PM +0300, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Christophe Fergeau
> <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:39:42AM +0300, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps I should instead provide more details in the commit message,
> >> if that's the issue. Anything missing specifically?
> >
> > I haven't looked at the patch in details, so I can't really tell right
> > now ;)

> >> The reasoning is to not duplicate these names in both the makefile
> >> and in the nsis file. Both of them need to know these names, and it
> >> makes more sense to me to maintain these names in the Makefile and
> >> pass to makensis. Obviously the nature of make makes it somewhat
> >> easier to override from outside when actually running it, but I do
> >> not intend to do that for now. We might eventually use this if we
> >> decide to use this project also for downstream (RHEV).
> >
> > You could have the same reasoning for all the data files (agent, driver,
> > ...) used by the installer which are listed both in the Makefile and in
> > the .nsis file. I'd rather not have these variables, they make things
> > complicated for not much gain (imo).
>
> So you prefer them just duplicated?

I think this would make everything simpler yes.. NSIS/Makefile
relationship is kind of the same as the link between a spec file and a
Makefile in autotools projects (for example). The Makefile writer
decides on the binary/library names, and the .spec file just duplicates
these names (or rename them if it needs to). I've rarely seen
--with-binary-name=foo --with-library-name=bar options to such modules.