[Spice-devel] lots of what looks like "memory issues" to me but I don't know enough to understand the messages...

Graeme Vetterlein graeme.real at vetterlein.com
Sun Sep 6 15:28:57 PDT 2015

I bought a Intel i7 with 16Gb of RAM , installed Fedora20 (then current)
it was called "real"  .. my intent was to run all my systems as virtual
machines under it . Sadly over a year on on I've not managed it due to
the very slow graphics. Today I just built a new vm of the latest Jessie
(Debian 8). The default (which I kept to) was spice+QXL+64mb.
Performance was horrible. It was slightly better if I used fvwm , but
the greatest improvement came from switching to VNC.

Lots of messages in /var/log/messages:

<date time> name gdm-Xorg:0[875]: Out of Surfaces

.... about 20 such messages per second

I still get these with VNC , but at a much reduced rate.

The real&virtaul screen is 1680X1050 (not very big) and I used gnome
originally, but ended up with XFCE  again due to speed issues.

I've seen various references to these messages in the past . Most
recently being downgraded on wheezy. As if it's historic.

I did manage to get some reasonable speed by getting XDMCP working
direct to the box, but this had other issues .

--

Graeme