[Spice-devel] File Transfer API

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 04:26:40 PDT 2015

Hey,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:23:46AM -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> ==========
>
> We could deprecate this API, but I don't want to remove or break public
> API. So we still need to support transfers created with the current
> function. I'd like to propose a complementary API:
>
> Add a new public object SpiceFileTransferTask with the following
> characteristics:
>  - it represents the transfer of a single file
>  - it has a "progress" property, which represents the percentage of the
> file that has been transferred. The application can connect to the
> "notify::progress" signal to be notified when the progress of a transfer
> changes.
>  - it has a "finished" signal so that the application can tell when the
> transfer of that file has completed
>  - it has a "filename" property so that the application can display the
> filename next to the progress of the transfer if desired
>  - it has a "cancel()" method, so that an application can cancel an
> individual file transfer[0]
>
> In addition to this new object, add a "new-file-transfer" signal to
> SpiceMainChannel. This signal will be emitted whenever a new file
> transfer task has been initiated (presumably by the drag-and-drop
> handler of the SpiceDisplay widget).

This all sounds good to me, just one question, are you going to change
'progress_callback' to report total progress, or is it going to stay as
it is now? (in other words, if an application only wants to display that
current file transfer operation is N% complete regardless of the files
being transferred, is there a way to do that?).

Thanks for the detailed email,