[Spice-devel] Protocol extensions

thkerle at bluewin.ch thkerle at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 16 23:09:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I have studied the protocol that a spice client sends to a spice server.
If I have a socket listening on a specific port (in spice for example the port 5900). I get on the socket listener a RED_LINK message. From this message I cannot
get additional parameters like for example spice://myhost.com:5900/hosteddomain/jack where
- myhost.com is the public IP to connect
- hosteddomain is for example a identifier for a subscriber of a VM (Vitual Machine) cluster
- jack is the end user or some abstract path for a location in the internal net
The usage is simple. For example I assume to host seven VM all running some Linux distribution for a university or a company.
Internally I like to make some redirection of the spice request.
- say it's a server at myhost.com listening to port 5900.
- It parses the connection string and looks up in a IP table of the internal network where the VM's are located for the hosteddomain. With the additional identifier jack I know
to which VM cluster I have to connect. On each host for VM's are for example 4 VM's.
spice client  --- spice dispatcher  --- (hosteddomain1:192.168.1.20)
                                                                   jack --->         192.168.1.30            ---> spice-server (using port 9500)    -->connection to VM001
                                                                   anna -->         192.168.1.30            ---> spice-server (using port 9502)
                                                     --- (hosteddomain2:192.168.2.40)
                                                                    fred -->         192.168.2.59            ---> spice-server (using port 9500)
 Such a spice dispatcher is relativ easely to program for an administrator.
The protocol on the website is in the draft release.
My questions:
- Is there a way to already achieve this?
- Or are there planned steps forwarding in this direction?
Best regards
Thomas