[Spice-devel] Now available: x11spice utility

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 2 21:24:10 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I've gone ahead and built an x11spice utility as discussed here:
  https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2016-March/027747.html

The source code is here (at least for now):
  https://github.com/jwhite66/x11spice

Essentially, this adds the ability to export a running Xorg session
using Spice.  It is loosely modeled after the excellent x11vnc utility,
although it ended up being an entirely new code base.

While I've been working on it for a while, it should be considered early
release quality.  For example, I don't know how it works on multi head
monitors.  I also haven't used it for any sustained period of time.

The README has build and usage instructions, but it's pretty much just:
  ./configure && make
  src/x11spice --generate-password

I'd be grateful if folks gave it a try; feedback is greatly appreciated.

One result:  I don't know if I'll ever be able to get performance to
match that of the qxl driver.  There are a number of cases (e.g. x11perf
with small circles) that prove hard to optimize for.  So right now, this
is useful for exporting a desktop; it is not yet (and perhaps never will
be) a replacement for the qxl driver.

Cheers,

Jeremy