[Spice-devel] Now available: x11spice utility

Victor Toso lists at victortoso.com
Wed Aug 3 13:00:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:43:07AM +0200, Pavel Grunt wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> great job!

Really awesome.

> On Tue, 2016-08-02 at 16:24 -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've gone ahead and built an x11spice utility as discussed here:
> >   https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2016-March/027747.html
> >
> > The source code is here (at least for now):
> >   https://github.com/jwhite66/x11spice
> >
> > Essentially, this adds the ability to export a running Xorg session
> > using Spice.  It is loosely modeled after the excellent x11vnc utility,
> > although it ended up being an entirely new code base.
> >
> > While I've been working on it for a while, it should be considered early
> > release quality.  For example, I don't know how it works on multi head
> > monitors.  I also haven't used it for any sustained period of time.
> >
> > The README has build and usage instructions, but it's pretty much just:
> >   ./configure && make
> >   src/x11spice --generate-password
> >
> > I'd be grateful if folks gave it a try; feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> It works nicely, I noticed that cpu usage is 100% all the time (even
> when no client is connected).

My cpu usage is okay (below 50%), memory is fine as well. I have a small
delay, about 500 ms. I only gave it a quick try but let us know any
tests we could be doing to help here.

> > One result:  I don't know if I'll ever be able to get performance to
> > match that of the qxl driver.  There are a number of cases (e.g. x11perf
> > with small circles) that prove hard to optimize for.  So right now, this
> > is useful for exporting a desktop; it is not yet (and perhaps never will
> > be) a replacement for the qxl driver.
>
> I tried (normal desktop usage + SuperTuxKart) with 2 FullHD displays, LAN env,
> and imho the performance was ok

2 FullHD displays on LAN env too. Probably Pavel and I have different
settings for the streaming? Don't know.

Kind regards,
  toso