[Spice-devel] [RFC] Seamless mode behaviour discussion

Victor Toso lists at victortoso.com
Wed Aug 10 19:29:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 04:25:38PM +0200, Lukas Venhoda wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Frediano Ziglio <fziglio at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> 3. Accessing activities, start menues etc
> >> This one is a weird one. We could do it like other VMs with a special
> >> button to emulate activities/start etc floating around the screen and
> >> showing most of the VM when clicked, or something like that. I'm not
> >> really sure how to do this one
> >>

> > I didn't get this one.
>
> Like the applications menu from taskbar, (start on windows, activities
> in gnome etc)
> If the user wants to launch a new app he would usually use the menu,
> but currently it's hidden with the taskbar

I would not use the desktop launcher for that but the agent. If you want
to launch something in the guest to open in seamless mode you could have
a combo key that would show an input dialog (like alt+f2 on GNOME). The
input could be sent to the agent which would launch it in the guest.

The Launchy [0] project has been brought up in the past regarding this
feature.

[0] https://www.launchy.net/

> >> 6. Launching specific applications from command line
> >> So this might be a cool little feature. Imagine running the VM from
> >> command line, with seamless mode on and telling it exactly what
> >> app/script run when the client launches.
> >> It could even work like having pecific applications in the activities
> >> which would in turn open the client and launch the app, and close the
> >> clitn when the app is closed.
> >>
> >> There is a security concern about leting the user run scripts on a VM
> >> from command line, but wer could have some kind of settings, where the
> >> user would choose specific command like words for specific
> >> binaries/scripts in the VM beforehand.
> >>
> >> Example: remote-viewer --seamless-mode --start writer
> >>
> >> Which would look if a writer command has been set upt, and if yes, run
> >> the given application.
> >>

> > Looks like you want here to do something like xenapp :)
>
> I might take a look at it. Seems like a cool way to launch virtualized
> apps to me.

I wonder if that is under remote-viewer scope/goals?

> >> So that's most of the issues that really need solving, and it's better
> >> to discuss it in the list instead of just us 3 in Brno :)
> >>
> >> Thanks for all the responses.
> >
> > Frediano
>
> Thanks for the response
> -