[Spice-devel] [RFC spice-common] ci: Automatically test integration with spice-common users

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 08:46:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 01:44:14PM -0500, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > +client:
> > +  stage: test
> > +  script:
> > +  - git clone $GIT_DIR_URL/spice-gtk
> > +  - cd spice-gtk
> > +  - git submodule update --init --recursive
> > +  - cd spice-common
> > +  - git checkout $LATEST_HASH
> > +  - cd ..
> > +  - git commit -a -m "Update submodule"
> > +  - ./autogen.sh
> > +  - make
> > +
> > +server:
> > +  stage: test
> > +  script:
> > +  - git clone $GIT_DIR_URL/spice
> > +  - cd spice
> > +  - git submodule update --init --recursive
> > +  - cd spice-common
> > +  - git checkout $LATEST_HASH
> > +  - cd ..
> > +  - git commit -a -m "Update submodule"
> > +  - ./autogen.sh
> > +  - make
>
> This looks like an attempt to have a more stable ABI/API or push
> developers to update spice-server/spice-gtk if ABI/API breaks which
> is opposite of submodule idea.
> Probably is up to how many people looks at CI but usually the idea
> is that should break only on regressions (or system/network build failures).
> From the link you sent seems that the build is broken for spice-common
> while is from the user prospective completely alright.
> Not again the patch, just a consideration.

My reaction is a bit similar. It's useful to know whether spice-gtk.git
/ spice-server.git are working together with spice-common.git, however
I'd see this as purely informative. As this is a submodule, it can be
intentional/known that one of the module does not build (yet) with
spice-common master. But if it's not known, it's good to be informed of
this ;)