[Spice-devel] Spice-Html5 Client Query

Shirley Arava shirley.arava at nyu.edu
Wed Dec 14 18:05:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was looking for some sort of guidance as to where I was going wrong with
the spice protocol requirements. We are currently trying to use SPICE-html5
client to provide remote access to Virtual Machines hosted on a Xen
hypervisor. It would be really helpful if you could provide us some inputs
since we are currently improving the virtual private cloud experience for
hosting online labs at Tandon School of Engineering, NYU.

On my test bed, I have deployed an ubuntu server(16.04 LTS) as a virtual
machine on a xen hypervisor(also ubuntu 16.04 LTS server) and was able to
connect remotely to the virtual machine using the spice html5 client(
www.spice-space.org). However I was unable to get the copy-paste
functionality to work.

According to a few of the documentations/blogs I have read, for the
copy-paste functionality to work, spice protocol needs the qxl driver and
spice-vdagent to be present on the both host and the guest machines. I have
installed them on the xen server and the guests, but I was still not able
to copy-paste.

Can you help me figure out or point me to some good documentation to check
if I have overlooked something to get SPICE-html5 client to run with the
clipboard sharing.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
*Shirley Arava*
*Graduate Assistant*
*Department of Computer Science and Engineering*
*New York University Tandon School Of Engineering*