[Spice-devel] mouse mode

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 21:01:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I understand your question only vaguely so I'm writing my best guess
answer. The server mouse mode means that mouse events are sent via
server to the guest OS that in turn renders cursor on it's own. The main
downside is big latency, the mouse pointer position changes with
noticeable delay even on local networks.

Client mouse mode fixes this issue by drawing the cursor right away and
sending it's coordinates to the guest OS. Guest OS however needs to know
that it should not render cursor (to avoid double cursor) and current
pointer position. This is the task for spice agent that receives these
instructions via virtio-serial device.

Linux guests should support client mouse mode right away, if it doesn't
work for you, you have to install and run spice-vdagentd service. On
Windows guests, you have to install virtio-serial driver and spice
vdagent for Windows.
In both cases, spice will use client mouse mode whenever available.

You can also enforce server mouse mode even if all things necessary for
client mouse are in place.

HTH,

David