[Spice-devel] spice udp support

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 10:24:45 CET 2016

Hey,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 06:10:28PM +0900, Sunny Shin wrote:
> I have a few questions about udp version of spice protocol.
>
> Is there a plan to support udp in spice protocol?
>
> If we support udp, what do we need to implement?
> Is it enough to change tcp channels to udp ones?

Maybe that would be enough, maybe more changes would be needed, I cannot
exactly tell you. My main worries with UDP would be packet drops as
there is nothing guaranteeing you that the packets you send will arrive
at all to the other end of the connexion.

> Would there be any benefits over tcp version? possibly better performance?

There would most likely be less overhead, but at the cost of not having
guarantees of packet delivery, so I'm not sure how good this tradeoff
would be..
Experimenting with this sounds interesting though!