[Spice-devel] spice udp support

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 11:07:05 CET 2016

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> On Mi, 2016-02-03 at 13:27 +0900, Sunny Shin wrote:
> > I heard that iptv uses udp multicast, so I thought that performance
> > might be better if we use udp for video streaming.
>
> spice != tv.  No multicast here.  Oh, and udp/multicast doesn't improve
> performance, it reduces the bandwidth needed.
>
> >  We can ignore missing and out of order frames.
>
> Not just the missing frame, but any video data until the next key frame
> arrives (except for mjpeg).
>
> >  Does it make sense?
>
> No.  It would in increase the bandwidth needed as spice would have to
> send keyframes frequently to compensate for possible packet loss.

It's not so obvious to me once Spice starts using a regular video codec. UDP (RTP really) is designed to be better at low-latency and streaming. You may not be able to control the keyframe insertions, and it's usually better to let the encoder decide when to put it. Imho, Spice should offer RTP channels in the future.

multi-cast could be interesting for Spice too in some cases.