[Spice-devel] [server] streaming: Don't start streaming if there is no video encoder

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 25 16:44:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
[...]
> I think in this case the frames are encoded as images. What also worry
> me is that at this point we did all streams computation/detection but
> then we can't stream so we are wasting lot of CPU time for nothing.
> Would not be more sensible to do the check a bit earlier or always
> support the MJPEG case?

Do you have an idea on how to avoid doing the stream detection? As far
as I can tell, even if we fail in dcc_create_stream() we will still be
trying to detect video streams.

As for MJPEG it's always supported. Yes, there is a
--disable-builtin-mjpeg configure option in spice-gtk but it's only
meant as a way to test GStreamer's MJPEG support or this sort of special
condition. I don't expect anyone to actually disable the builtin MJPEG
decoder in a production build.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>