[Spice-devel] question: how to test the gstreamer:h264 with qemu ?

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Jul 29 12:13:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Li, ZhijianX wrote:

> Hello  guys,
>
> Recently, I found that spice have supported gstremer:h264 encoding, so I want to have a try.
> But I'm not sure how to test this feature(I am a spice newbie)

There's not yet any support for specifying the preferred video codec in
either qemu or libvirt. Hence Christophe's suggestion to directly hack
the default codec in the Spice server source code.

> If I play a h264 encoding video in the guest, how can I *confirm* that
> the gstremer:h264 works or not ?

Note that no matter what the video format is, it will be decoded by your
media player in the guest, then reencoded, possibly with a different
video codec, by the spice server, and finally decoded by the Spice
client. So the codec of the original video file is quite irrelevant.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>