[Spice-devel] [spice-server] doc: Add virgl documentation

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 09:02:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 01:26:17PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 03/24/2016 01:08 PM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Ah, I'll have to improve the text I guess. By "It's currently limited",
> > I meant "Guest support is currently limited". (I tested this)
> >

> Ah I see. So F23 guest has all the bits it needs, gotchya

Mostly, the version which went into git says that mesa bits from
copr:kraxel are needed on f23 guest.

> >> Slightly related question: what is the timeline for working gl passthrough
> >> with local host + VM + spice listen=127.0.0.1 ? Is it under heavy development
> >> or just waiting for just waiting for some new releases? If the latter, which
> >> packages will be required?
> >
> > What do you expect out of it exactly ? To be able to do remote-viewer
> > spice://localhost:5900 and have virgl acceleration work? Or something
> > different?
> >

> Basically the remote-viewer case you describe, since that's the default
> virt-manager (and libvirt) config for spice setups. Gerd seemed to indicate
> that it will work in the near term, in his response to your qemu patch. Isn't
> that what the dmabuf stuff is all about? Or are we always going to have to use
> the OpenGraphics/add_client method to get GL?

As I understand it, the dmabuff stuff is just a file descriptor being
passed around between virgl/QEMU and the SPICE client through a Unix
socket so that the 3D framebuffer can be displayed in a different
process.
The discussion about gl+tcp was probably not a short-term thing, and not
limited to localhost. We need to add support for encoding the virgl
display, and send that to the client through a TCP socket. This would
allow remote 3d to work.