[Spice-devel] RFC: XSpice shift to an 'x11spice' approach

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 30 16:09:25 UTC 2016

On 03/30/2016 04:57 AM, Pedro Francisco wrote:
> Sending to list as well, this time.

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> As you know, I've done a lot of work on XSpice over the past few years.
>>  I plan to take a new approach by following the model of the excellent
>> 'x11vnc' client.
>

> Tell me, performance-wise, is there any different between a real X11
> on real hardware and a X11 on XvFb or equivalent? Performance-wise,
> will one be hardware-accelerated and the other software-render only?

Well, yes, there is a difference between X11 running with a video card
with a GPU and X11 using the dummy driver and software rendering; the
former has a GPU to accelerate draws and generally benefits from glx and
opengl functionality.

I'm not sure I follow the relevance to this thread, though.  Both Xspice
and x11spice would, by default, use an X frame buffer sort of driver.
It is the case, though, that the benefit that x11spice could be run
against a main session probably does mean that you'd get the benefit of
the GPU acceleration of that session.

Cheers,

Jeremy