[Spice-devel] [spice v2] streaming: Always delegate bit rate control to the video encoder

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Nov 18 17:36:25 UTC 2016

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
[...]
> Took me some time to test but the patch works as expected and
> video is smoother. Strangely seems that MJPEG works better than
> other encoders (beside taking more bandwidth).

Being curious I have to ask: how so?
(but I'll acknowledge that it can be hard to describe or quantify so
feel free to ignore)

Is the difference between spice/mjpeg and gstreamer/mjpeg or between
*/mjpeg and */!mjpeg?

The former would point to the bitrate control algorithm while the latter
could be a result of inter-frame compression being more fragile or
compression taking longer being an issue.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>