[Spice-devel] [client v5 2/4] streaming: Stop streaming if frames cannot be decoded

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon Nov 21 19:48:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> Forgot to ask if you hit these issues in practice, if so in which
> scenario, and what happened before this patch series.

I guess you're asking about all of them:

* Stop streaming if frames cannot be decoded
  This happens on the server when I tell x264enc to encode 17 pixel
  high frames. It also happened with one of the encoders (maybe a 0.10
  one) when given any frame with an odd width or height. If encoders
  fail to deal with some frame sizes then I can only assume that some
  decoders may fail too. It would totally not surprise me if some
  hardware decoders were picky that way.

* Stop streaming if GStreamer silently drops every frame
  This happened before the previous patch added code to detect GStreamer
  errors. Now that we detect these errors I don't think this happens
  anymore.

* Report invalid streams to the server
  This can happen when the client receives a message that the server
  sent before it received the client's stream_report 'closing' a stream.
  Also the client has to validate (and was validating) the server data
  anyway so this is just about reporting errors rather than silently
  ignoring them.

As to what happened before this patch series: the area where the video
should have been displayed was just never refreshed.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>