[Spice-devel] Very poor video performance using Virt Viewer compared to RDP

Brad Wilson bradwilsonstl at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 13:30:33 UTC 2016

I have a Windows 7 VM running via Qemu on Gentoo Linux usinga product called Foss-Cloud.

I have spice tools and the QXL video driver installed

Using Virt-Viewer The Vm shows a little lag when typing(always takes a second to catch up when typing my password to log in and such).  In general pulling up folders and  text heavy web pages is pretty snappy anddoesn’t tax the cpu or memory at all.  Iflook at a site that has a lot of pictures I start seeing frame loss and themouse gets a little laggy when scrolling. If I pull up a video I see the cpu jump a little and the video isextremely laggy and I see about ever 10th frame of the video, at thesame time I lose sight of the mouse pointer for a second at a time and itbecomes hard to control.

While connecting to this vm using Virt-Viewer I also noticevery low bandwidth usage, well below 500Kbps which is strange for a remotesession sending video traffic.

Using Windows RDP I was able to pull up all the same videosand web pages with no problem, the videos were clear and ran smooth and thewebsites with a lot of pictures scrolled normally.  I did notice that the network traffic usingRDP was closer to 10mbps and spiked to 14mbps so it’s understandable that I wouldget a better experience.