[Spice-devel] Very poor video performance using Virt Viewer compared to RDP

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Oct 14 14:55:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
[...]
> I discovered where the main lag came quite by "accident". To test
> I used one small utility and this utility don't have a way to change
> parameters (like bandwidth) so knowing how the tcp work I stopped
> the utility and started again as fast as I can with different
> parameters. This of course create packets loss and some delay but
> the connection works fine as tcp retransmit the packets lost.
> But surprisingly the delay introduced by this accident was maintained
> in the video! I then removed all Virgl stuff, tried again with a video
> and the lag is still present. Also interrupting the utility and
> starting again was increasing the lag (I managed to have about
> 3 seconds lag!).
>
> Now... I have a patch for the client but as I said I'm not familiar
> with the client too much and it's really terrible. It mainly remove
> the synchronization with the audio (with still lags) and play the
> video as fast as possible. By the way, I think is time to send as
> someone could be able to make a sensible version of this patch
> (perhaps fixing the sound too)

This could be caused by what I consider to be a bug in spice-gtk's audio
handling. This bug is triggered by the PulseAudio backend. I don't know
about the others as I have never used them.

So what happens is that PulseAudio sends regular notifications about
changes in the latency of the audio device. I suppose this can be useful
in case the audio goes to a network device, or if it gets rerouted from
the builtin audio card to a USB headset or other such scenarios.

spice-pulse.c handles these notifications in
stream_update_latency_callback() and forwards the information to
spice_playback_channel_set_delay() (in channel-playback.c). There the
delay gets added to the timestamp of the **last received audio packet**
and set as the current mmtime.

This means that if you stop receiving audio packets the mmtime gets
stuck. Essentially time stands still as far as spice-gtk is concerned!
So anything that deals with mmtimes breaks down, like the video
playback.

Why would one stop receiving audio packets?
* This happens whenever an application opens the audio device but then
  does not write anything to it. For instance if you start mplayer and
  then pause playback it will keep the audio device open but stop
  writing audio data to it.
  Fortunately QEMU has a workaround for this: it closes the playback
  channel if there is nothing to play for 300 ms or more. 300 ms is
  short enough that you will not really notice the short pause in the
  video playback. The Xspice server was missing this workaround which is
  how I discovered this bug. But I updated it to match QEMU in commit
  76fd0a37.

* This can also happen if you start losing audio packets. I suspect this
  is what you're seeing. The video streaming code tries hard to leave
  enough bandwidth for the audio streams, mostly because it's better to
  degrade video quality a bit than have choppy audio. But this also
  helps avoid this isue.

But even in the normal case this bug can disrupt video playback a bit.

Audio packets are sent at regular intervals, typically every 10ms in
Xspice's case. Meanwhile stream_update_latency_callback() is called on a
totally independent schedule and when that happens the last audio packet
will be somehwere between 0 and 10 ms old. This means this bug
introduces a 10 ms jitter in mmtime.

The issue is that the mmtime is pretty important for streaming,
particularly video streaming. It's used by the client to measure how
much margin it has between reception of a frame and when that frame
should be displayed. Based onthat margin the video streaming code
decides whether it should lower the bandwidth or keep it as is. When
bandwidth is plentiful the margin would typically be around 300 ms and
if you divide that into four that gives you 75 ms buckets. So a 10 ms
error could relatively easily move you from one bucket to another. A 10
ms error is also likely to exceed the rtt jitter in many cases.

I'm not sure what the right fix is. It most likely involves ignoring the
last audio packet mmtime. Maybe keep track of the last delay value and
adjust mmtime by the difference between the old and new value?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>