[Spice-devel] Remove Virgl status

Victor Toso lists at victortoso.com
Tue Oct 18 13:39:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 06:07:50AM -0400, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> Hi,
>   has been a while since I posted a patchset on this.
> One reason is that the feature set of the series is not changed.
>
> Basically all pieces from DRM prime handling to VAAPI (hardware
> encoding acceleration), forcing streaming and fallback to software
> encoding are there.
>
> The main concern about these patches are the status of some
> implementation. The mainly hacks and fixes came from streaming.
> The idea of the streaming code currently is recognizing and
> optimizing video streaming done by virtual machine.
> With Virgl (using host rendering which is the current target)
> the streaming code is used continually so this part of code is
> quite stressed. Basically when Virgl kicks in all display become
> a big and continuous video.

Indeed. I wonder if we should drop the sized-stream code/messages when
we have this code in.

> This introduce some issues like the fact that if user interaction
> stops the frame rate fall down to a 0 average causing some
> computation problems.

In Spice streaming code or in GStreamer's pipeline (the actual
encoding) ?

> The other big problems came introducing hardware acceleration
> and DRM primes. Hardware accelerations means the use of different
> encoders (VAAPI was chosen). The status of these encoders and
> the gstreamer plugins (the part of code to use them) status is
> not so optimal like software encoders (for instance there is the
> lack for changing bit rate dynamically although supported by
> VAAPI). Also our gstreamer support code needs specific settings
> for every new encoders (for instance to support live streaming).
> Another problem with hardware encoders is license issues which
> could limit the usage and distribution of the required software;
> this lead to having to support fallback to software encoders
> to avoid blank screen.
>
> As said above all these are implemented but with lot of hacks
> and restrictions.

If one wants to play with the latest virgl branch, which one is it?
I'm guessing virgl2 at:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~fziglio/spice-server/refs/heads

> Reordering the patches and list of todos/bugs I realized that
> the main issues came from streaming. For this reason I decided
> to focus first of all on the streaming part. The first step
> will be the implementation of a proper test as a unit test
> for the encoding code checking for different aspect from
> encoders, formats (at the beginning just different bitmap
> formats, after DRM primes), clipping, bit rate handling.
> This will help in the next step to add support for different
> formats (DRM primes) and encoders (hardware ones).
>
> Frediano

Step by step, great work :)
  toso