[Spice-devel] Questions about spice tools being installed by default

Victor Toso lists at victortoso.com
Mon Oct 31 17:09:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 12:48:51PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> I added spice-vdagent to Ubuntu GNOME 16.10's default install so that
> it will work better in the GNOME Boxes app.

Great to hear.

> Should qemu-guest-agent and spice-webdavd be installed by default too?
>
> I'm thinking about mentioning these packages to other Ubuntu flavors
> in case they want to add them to the default install.
>
> Could you give a brief explanation of what each of the 3 packages do
> and what the benefits are of them being installed?

* spice-vdagent makes some interactions with the guest possible;
  clipboard exchange between client <-> guest is possible thanks to this
  daemon; copying files over drag-and-drop as well; and a few other
  features

* spice-webdavd makes share-folder possible, and that's it.

* qemu-guest-agent: we don't use it at all

> Do these agents have any downsides when installed outside of a spice
> VM?

None that I'm aware of.

  toso