[Spice-devel] Why does an Ubuntu VM in Boxes not offer the full display resolution from the host?

Ralph Plawetzki ralph at plawetzki.net
Sun Apr 9 15:07:03 UTC 2017

Dear spice dev list,

with gnome-boxes / QEMU session / spice / QXL driver I've found a
desktop virtualisation solution that works excellent!

There is only on thing missing: the max display resolution of the host
(2560x1440) is not available in the guest. When I put the guest into
fullscreen, the resolution is half (1280x720) of the resolution of the host.

The VM (current Ubuntu) has spice-vdagent and xserver-xorg-video-qxl
installed. Display resize works. The host is running Arch linux with a
current stack.

The hardware of the host is a Lenovo laptop with this display driver:
intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20161121

Using xrandr works to set the resolution to 2560x1440. Can this be
considered as a spice bug?

Kind regards,

Ralph