[Spice-devel] [nsis v3 2/2] build: Don't add .pdb debug files to the installer

Lev Veyde lveyde at redhat.com
Thu Dec 28 11:13:24 UTC 2017

Hi Didi (and the guys),

We don't ship debug information in our d/s WGT, and personally I'm not sure
how useful it really may be, e.g. if the customers will get BSOD if that
will show any more useful information.

Luckily our VirtIO-Win drivers are quite stable, so we don't have many such
issues anyhow.
But I think it's best to see what VirtIO-Win guys think about it.
Amnon, what is your view on this?

My personal opinion is that for u/s users we may provide these files as a
separate package or simply forward them to the u/s VirtIO-Win ISO.
However I don't mind to keep things as is and having them as part of the
base installer for simplicity of distribution.
After all the new versions are not frequent and have to be downloaded only
once per oVirt instance, so the increased download size should not be an
issue.

If anything, I'm more concerned with the waste of the disk space of the VM,
and even that should not be a critical issue in most cases.
So it would be nice to have an option to install the debug information
during the install, so the user could choose by himself.

Thanks in advance,

--

Lev Veyde

Software Engineer, RHCE | RHCVA | MCITP