[Spice-devel] Multi-head Spice

Christophe de Dinechin dinechin at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 09:41:16 UTC 2017

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 08:58, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 04:18:12PM -0600, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
>> On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 17:53 +0100, Christophe de Dinechin wrote:
>>> I tried to setup a multi-head guest, but I’m having trouble getting
>>> multiple displays to work correctly
>>>
>>> For Jonathon, the part that I had trouble with was adding “heads =
>>> ‘4’" to the video / QXL configuration. I don’t see it documented in
>>> https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user- <https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user->
>>> manual.html#_multiple_monitor_support.
>>
>> Yep, it's a fairly new feature. I'm working on additional multi-monitor
>> documentation and will be sure to include that.
>
> Yep, we totally missed it when 'heads' support was added :( virt-manager
> UI needs to be able to set this too..

Ah, that was my next question ;-)

>>> For Christophe F, what I get with the configuration file http://paste
>>> bin.com/FEXbjaE3 is shown in the following picture https://redskincat
>>> .wordpress.com/2017/02/27/learning-more-about-mesa/#jp-carousel-1224.
>>> As far as I remember, this is pretty much a default configuration of
>>> Fedora 25 after install from the live CD. If I understand correctly,
>>> the difference with you is that I actually installed.
>>>
>>> Does anybody else see this? If not, what could be wrong with my
>>> setup?
>>>

>> I don't see anything obviously wrong with the configuration. If you
>> close the spice client and immediately re-connect does it still show
>> the same thing in both windows?
>>
>> Can you capture the debug output of running virt-viewer with the --
>> debug and --spice-debug options while you enable the second monitor?
>> That might give a clue about what's happening.
>
> Also, what window manager are you using on the client? The window
> decorations don't look like default GNOME setup? The linux client is
> running on bare-metal, not in an osx VM?

This is Cinnamon. The Linux client is running on the same Fedora 25 host.

So I thought I’d test with Gnome. It did not let me log-in. Tried with Gnome on Xorg. Same. Could not log in in Cinnamon anymore either… So I rebooted. And my machine landed in the emergency shell. My journalctl log is full of btrfs errors. The machine seems pretty sad.

Of note, this was my “stable” Linux machine so far, the only one that did not have some flaky component… I have three hosts (four if you include the Mac), they all have something wrong:

- The “Shuttle” machine is unstable, always have been. I hoped it would improve by swapping RAM or graphic card, but did not.

- The “Big” machine has new “bad sectors” on the boot hard disk daily. I have bought a new disk, did not have time to install it yet.

- The “Muse” machine I was using here was the most stable one, if the oldest. So far, it had performed flawlessly. Grrr.

If I can bring Muse back up, I’ll tell you if the result is different on Gnome. Meanwhile, I’ll try the heads=4 setup on a new VM on Big (which is Gnome by default)