[Spice-devel] Ultra Wide resolution

guidugli at gmail.com guidugli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 23:04:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

I apologise if this is too basic but I am not very familiar with this
topic.

Amyway, I installed a new Fedora 25 guest, updated all packages, and
vdagent package was already installed. Rebooted. After login the
resolution was still 1024x768. I was on full screen mode. So, I tried
to manually set the resolution. The maximum resolution available using
gnome display panel was 1920x1200. Tried to use the script below, but
got the following error:

$ bash a.sh 2560 1080
# setting mode 2560x1080 on output XWAYLAND0
+ xrandr --newmode 2560x1080 230.00 2560 2720 2992 3424 1080 1083 1093
1120 -hsync +vsync
+ xrandr --addmode XWAYLAND0 2560x1080
+ xrandr --output XWAYLAND0 --mode 2560x1080
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  7 (RRSetScreenSize)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  21
  Current serial number in output stream:  22

So, I logged off and tried to log in using X11 instead of Wayland. The
resolution was 1024x768 although I was on full screen (no automatic
adjustment). But using the script below, I was able to set the
resolution to 2560x1080. Of course, when I rebooted the resolution was
again 1024x768. But this is good enough for me on Linux. BTW, although
the drivers were installed, the display appeared as "Unknown Display".
Not sure how to solve this (did a quick google search with no good
result).

I was using Windows 10, which was disabling my mouse whenever I started
"spice vdagent" service, so I decided to try with Windows 7. So I did a
fresh install, I did not apply Win7 patches (it would take a long time
to do so). The resolution initially, on full screen, was really low
(800x600). Then I installed the latest spice guest tools. The
resolution jumped to 1024x768. But, as in Win10, it does not get higher
automatically and the OS is unable to understand that 2560x1080 as a
valid mode.

I really do not mind having to manually adjust the display resolution,
but the resolution must be available to be changed. On all 3
installations (Win10, Fedora25, Win7), none had the mode 2560x1080
listed as available. On Fedora 25 I was able to set this resolution
manually but I cannot do the same on Windows.

I believe that QXL driver "tells" the operating system the modes it
supports and I believe there isn't a 2560x1080. But I am not an expert
on this, so this is just an educated guess.

Thanks

Carlos