[Spice-devel] RFC: Lightweight tracing mechanism

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 20:40:27 UTC 2017

Hi

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 10:08 PM Jonathon Jongsma <jjongsma at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:11 -0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

Some of them I just found out by reading spice-common log.c, introduced
when switching to glog:

            debug_env = (char *)g_getenv("G_MESSAGES_DEBUG");
            if (debug_env == NULL) {
                g_setenv("G_MESSAGES_DEBUG", SPICE_LOG_DOMAIN, FALSE);
            } else {
                debug_env = g_strconcat(debug_env, ":", SPICE_LOG_DOMAIN,
NULL);
                g_setenv("G_MESSAGES_DEBUG", SPICE_LOG_DOMAIN, FALSE);
                g_free(debug_env);
            }

- appending to G_MESSAGES_DEBUG is buggy, it's not using the newly built
debug_env.
- this will only append the default "Spice" SPICE_LOG_DOMAIN (not the other
spice sub-domains),
- the variable expects a space-seperated list (you sent a patch for that)
(+ the unnecessary cast, could just use another variable...)

spice-gtk spice_util_enable_debug_messages() seems to be correct, also
handling the "all" case.

All of log.c is mostly to deal with deprecated stuff. I propose we switch
more effectively to glog, use a single domain and add some kind of
categories with structured logging (instead of extra glog domains) & remove
the deprecated code. I will work on a proposal, so we'll have alternatives
to discuss.
--
Marc-André Lureau