[Spice-devel] Use of sized ints

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Fri Mar 3 12:17:12 UTC 2017

> We have recently discussed the use of the bool type. What about sized int
> types? What is the policy here?
>
> Notably, on a part of the code I’m presently working on, I saw that
> surface_id could be either an int or an uint32_t. There is apparently no
> clear winner:
>
> $ git grep "int.*surface_id" | wc
>      141     659   12350
> $ git grep "uint32.*surface_id" | wc
>       89     434    8182
>
> So this means roughly 63% uint32 and 36% “other ints”…
>
> In your opinion, for new code, should I use unsigned, int or uint32 for a
> surface_id parameter? (My personal vote would be unsigned)
>

> Christophe

int16 !

:-)

I think on the network they are sent using uint32 however in some code -1
(so basically 0xffffffff) is assumed the invalid standard value.
Other invalid values (<0 or >maximum) are discarded (the entire command
is discarded). The maximum is 1000 so in some way int16 would even make sense!

Frediano