[Spice-devel] gtk client side timeouts

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 10 16:49:54 UTC 2017

Hey all,

We've got an issue with a remote viewer kiosk.  That is, in our normal
mode of operation, if something goes wrong with a client connection
(e.g. the sessions is killed, server restarted normally), the kiosk will
exit on disconnect, and we get a chance to retry the connection, or
present the user with a 'server down' style message.

But in the case of a serious network problem or a server hard power
cycle (i.e. no TCP FIN packets can flow), our end user behavior is not
ideal - the kiosk appears to hang solid, requiring a power cycle.

That's because we've got the stock keepalive timeouts, or about 2 hours
and 11 minutes, before the client sees the disconnect.

Now this is a relatively rare occurrence, and arguably a minor nuisance,
but I've been asked to see what it would take to improve the situation.

I looked for past discussions on spice-devel; I only readily found
discussion of the keepalive parameters on the server side, and it looks
like we take the idle timer down to 10 minutes now, from 2 hours.  I
didn't find discussion of something similar client side.

Have we considered tuning them on the spice-gtk client side?

The attached patch applies a roughly 75 second timeout for me; is this
something that would be viable to add to the gtk client, even if only as
an option?

Cheers,

Jeremy