[Spice-devel] [SPICE Server] Replacing KVM with LXC

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 12:42:13 UTC 2017

> Hello to everyone in the SPICE community,
>
> I am currently working on a project for school and I was wondering if it
> would be possible to run SPICE in an LXC container instead of KVM. I
> have read some post that the other solution would be to use Xspice, but
> that post was made in 2014. Also what are the major differences between
> SPICE and Xspice? And is it possible to achieve it and/or is there a
> specific way to run it with LXC?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Rokas Juknevicius
> Intern at Fleten.net

Yes, Xspice is a way to do it and was updated since 2014.
SPICE is also a protocol for remote desktop.
SPICE project provide the protocol libraries, headers and some definitions.
We also provide a server library, spice-server, that implements this protocol.
The same spice-server library is used by Qemu/Kvm and by Xspice to provide it.
The Xspice works in a similar way to Xvnc providing a server you can
connect to.

Frediano