[Spice-devel] Fedora 25 guest no changing resolution correctly

Javier Celaya javier.celaya at flexvdi.com
Mon Oct 23 07:51:51 UTC 2017

Hello list,

Recently, we updated the Qemu version being used by flexVDI. We were
using a pre-3.3 QXL device, so it did not provide the
client_monitors_config callback and that message was getting through to
the VDAgent, which in turn changed the resolution of the guest. This
was working flawlessly both on Windows and Linux guests.

With the new version (we are using qemu v2.6.0 from RHEV 7.3 and spice-
server v0.12.8 from RHEL 7.4, with a couple of small changes), the
client_monitors_config callback gets called. This works correctly on
Windows guests, but on Linux guests (tested mainly with Fedora 25,
stock vdagent and QXL Xorg driver, which are quite up to date) the
following happens when a resolution change is requested by the client:
- The new resolution is detected by the Xorg server, it can be seen
with xrandr.
- If the old resolution was a custom one, the display changes to the
new one.
- If the old resolution was a standard one (like 640x480, 1024x768,
1920x1080, etc), the display DOES NOT change to the new one.
I have read quickly through the list archive but found nothing about
this problem. Is there something we are missing? Something else we
should be upgrading too?

Possible solutions we are considering:
- Change to virtio-vga for Linux guests. However, we'd rather use the
same graphics device for all guest types.
- Do not filter the monitors config message and let the vdagent change
the resolution.
- Fix whatever needs to be fixed in order to make this work. However,
we are not sure where the problem is. Spice server? Xorg? Qemu?
Do you have any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.
--

        Javier Celaya