[Spice-devel] How to build spice-gtk?

Matthew J. Francis mjay.francis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:30:14 UTC 2017

On 21/10/2017 22:50, Real wrote:
> I'm a beginner,I do not know how to build spice-gtk on mac os x. Can
> you help me? thank you

I recently attempted this.
Basic build instructions can be found at

https://www.spice-space.org/osx-client.html

However, they seem to be somewhat out of date, and I encountered a few
issues along the way; you may find building it requires some patience
and persistence.

Based on some notes I made at the time for failures building various
modules:

- zlib objects to the jhbuild config trying to configure it with
--disable-introspection
Solution: Remove this from .jhbuildrc-spice, it's probably not relevant
any more even for the modules it was supposed to apply to

- gobject-introspection gets confused about what macOS SDK it is
supposed to be targeting
Solution: (in my case:)
   export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.12
before building

- The location for the source of gstreamer is incorrect in the
referenced file

https://git.gnome.org//browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx-gstreamer.modules
Solution: Edit spice-jhbuild/modulesets/spice.xml to point at the local
copy of jhbuild/modulesets/gtk-osx.modules ; then, edit the local
gtk-osx-gstreamer.modules in the same place to add 'repo="gstreamer"' to
the branch tag for gstreamer/gstreamer-1.10.4.tar.xz (and other
gstreamer modules that are missing it)

- spice-gtk (from git rather than the release version pre-configured in
the jhbuild config - some of these may also apply to the release version)
   - needs spice-protocol >= 0.12.13
   - needs a bug fix applied to autoconf-2.69 from
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25740#8
   - needs to be built with CFLAGS=-ObjC
   - needs to be built with --enable-gtk-doc-html=no (...or work out and
build the required dependencies)

If you can get past all these, you should have a working spice client at
the end. Good luck

Regards
Matthew Francis