[Spice-devel] Fedora 25 guest no changing resolution correctly

Javier Celaya javier.celaya at flexvdi.com
Mon Oct 23 11:12:04 UTC 2017

Hi
El lun, 23-10-2017 a las 06:57 -0400, Frediano Ziglio escribió:
> Hello list,
>
> Recently, we updated the Qemu version being used by flexVDI. We were
> using a pre-3.3 QXL device, so it did not provide the
> client_monitors_config callback and that message was getting through
> to the VDAgent, which in turn changed the resolution of the guest.
> This was working flawlessly both on Windows and Linux guests.
>
> With the new version (we are using qemu v2.6.0 from RHEV 7.3 and
> spice-server v0.12.8 from RHEL 7.4, with a couple of small changes),
> the client_monitors_config callback gets called. This works correctly
> on Windows guests, but on Linux guests (tested mainly with Fedora 25,
> stock vdagent and QXL Xorg driver, which are quite up to date) the
> following happens when a resolution change is requested by the
> client:
> - The new resolution is detected by the Xorg server, it can be seen
> with xrandr.
> - If the old resolution was a custom one, the display changes to the
> new one.
> - If the old resolution was a standard one (like 640x480, 1024x768,
> 1920x1080, etc), the display DOES NOT change to the new one.
> I have read quickly through the list archive but found nothing about
> this problem. Is there something we are missing? Something else we
> should be upgrading too?
>
> Possible solutions we are considering:
> - Change to virtio-vga for Linux guests. However, we'd rather use the
> same graphics device for all guest types.this is more a workaround of
> the problem
> - Do not filter the monitors config message and let the vdagent
> change the resolution.Sorry, not clear which component is filtering
> this message out.
> I have some remembrance that the path is a bit different from Windows
> to Linux.

This message is captured by the Spice server. If the QXL device
(provided by Qemu) implements a client_monitors_config callback, then
the message is filtered out and the callback is called instead. This
does not depend on whether the guest is Windows or Linux.
> - Fix whatever needs to be fixed in order to make this work. However,
> we are not sure where the problem is. Spice server? Xorg? Qemu?
> Do you have any comments on this?From your description and the fact
> that work on Windows guest looks like is a problem with the guest,
> either the agent or the kernel qxl driver.

That's what I think, too. And since the message is not received by the
guest agent, I would say it is the qxl driver, either in the kernel or
in Xorg. I'll try to see if there is something in there.

--

        Javier Celaya

        Chief Technology Officer

        javier.celaya at flexvdi.com