[Spice-devel] check style (was: test-gst: Remove options parsing leaks)

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Tue Sep 12 11:41:20 UTC 2017

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 07:19:32AM -0400, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > About checking for pointer assuming you have to check for NULL
> > would mean the NULL is not 0 which would mean that
> > memset(structure_ptr, 0, sizeof(structure)) cannot set pointer
> > to NULL which would mean that assuming pointer initialized from
> > GObject NULL are not correct, I would personally vote again
> > the if (pointer != NULL) style, if (pointer) is good as well.
>
> I'm not saying it's more correct, I'm saying it can make the code easier
> to read.
>
> if (obscure_name) {} -> you know from reading the code it's a boolean
> if (obscure_name != 0) {} -> ok, it's some int value
> if (obscure_name == NULL) {} -> this time it's a pointer
>
> Christophe

C has no strong boolean, gboolean for instance is an int but I won't
check as if (gboolean_var != 0).
You just should not use obscure_name on the first place, or
we should use the hungarian notation (joking) !
Said that "if (pointer)" is perfectly fine.

All personal opinions obviously, there are great code either using
one syntax or the other.

Frediano