[Spice-devel] Feature suggestion: Port tunneling between VM & client over spice-channel

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Wed Nov 21 22:38:55 UTC 2018

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:16:27 +0100
Javier Celaya <javier.celaya at flexvdi.com> wrote:

> Hi

> FYI, in flexVDI we have already implemented this feature. We just had
> not the time to split it into meaningful patches and share it with the
> list. If you are really interested, we can try to dedicate some time to
> it.
> Our implementation allows to redirect local and remote TCP ports, just
> like -L and -R options in ssh.

That is very nice. Setting up networking infrastructure just to connect
to a service in your appliance or to log into your test machine over
ssh is bothersome for one-off uses. Worse, different platforms offer
different networking options so there is not sure way that gives you
access to your VM.

> A SOCKS proxy shouldn't be hard to
> implement too. However, we did not use a separate channel. We use the
> main channel, like with file transfers, because the client communicates
> with the vdagent in the guest. Our changes affect spice-gtk, spice-
> protocol, vdagent-linux and vdagent-win32. Maybe it would be a better
> idea to have a separate channel+virtio_port+agent for this, what do you
> think?
> You can have a look at our implementation in our spice-* repos at
> GitHub:https://github.com/flexvdi The vdagent-part is not there, but I
> could share the code with you if you are interested.

Please do publish the changes. Even if nobody puts them into mainline
right now it is nice to have a working implementation available.

Thanks

Michal