[Spice-devel] usbredir error: Error setting USB device node ACL: 'Not authorized'

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 15:22:11 UTC 2018

Hey,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:57:39AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 10/09/2018 04:42 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> > I'm running libvirt under Fedora 28. I would like to attach a USB
> > device to a VM, but when I select "Redirect USB Device" from the
> > "Virtual Machine" menu in virt-manager and then select the device, I
> > get the error:
> >
> >    USB redirection error
> >
> >    spice-client-error-quark: Could not redirect [device name] at 1-11:
> >    Error setting USB device node ACL: 'Not authorized' (0)
> >
> > There are no additional log messages acccompanying this in either the
> > journal or in audit.log.  It's not a selinux issue.  The "Details"
> > dropdown in the error dialog helpfully adds "USB redirection error".
> >
> > What do I do with this error message? I'm not even sure what it's
> > trying to tell me.
> >

> Me neither. Looks like that message is either coming from spice or usbredir.
> CCing spice list (and changed the subject to make it more clear)

USB Redirection permissions are set by the
/usr/libexec/spice-gtk-x86_64/spice-client-glib-usb-acl-helper SUID
binary. I'm running f29 these days, but after downgrading the spice-gtk
package to spice-gtk-0.35-1.fc28, I haven't been able to reproduce this
issue. What version of the package is being used? And are you sure you
don't have any non-fedora versions of spice-gtk anywhere on your system?