[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v4 00/13] CD sharing feature

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 10:22:12 UTC 2018

  Hi,

> During my talk at KVM forum, I mentionned that an interesting project
> idea/heack would be to try to reuse emulated USB devices in qemu, and
> abstract them so they could speech usbredir. I think that would be
> really neat, because not only we could share USB emulation code from
> qemu with spice client, but we could also run  qemu USB devices
> out of process. It may not be easy, or it may, in all cases I hope we
> won't duplicate too much of qemu code in spice client. Perhaps qemu
> USB devices code could be in a shared library?

Not that easy, most usb devices are notstandalone.  Easiest target for
trying that approach is smartcard (ccid) I guess.  usb-storage has
dependencies to the qemu scsi and block layer.  usb-hid has dependencies
to the UI code (for getting events).  usb-serial depends on a chardev
backend (maybe not that difficuilt either).

> Could the discussion be opened on the spice-devel & qemu-devel mailing
> list? A summary mail of the 2 approaches could bring interesting point
> of view to help make a decision. Especially from block devices & usb
> maintainers."

Seems that happens now, after coding up things, instead of discussing
approaches beforehand ...

cheers,
  Gerd