[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk] gtk-session: do not sync modifiers when focused

Olivier Fourdan ofourdan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 09:37:38 UTC 2019

Hi Frediano,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 9:38 AM Frediano Ziglio <fziglio at redhat.com> wrote:

> > [...]
>
> I agree on the patch however to me it looks partial.
>
> When the server send the modifiers the client check its state
> and still does the sync.
> In my configuration my client does not change the caps lock state
> as the caps is used for other purposes. The caps in my case get
> ignored or it bounce back depending on how long I press the caps.

So if I understand correctly, you have configured the [CAPSLock] key to
something else than CAPS lock (using an xkb option, maybe compose:caps or
something), so pressing [CAPSLock] on your host would not switch CAPS Lock
ON on your host.

Yet the guest may not have that option set, so when CAPSLock key press is
received by the guest, it switches CAPS lock on the guest, so the guest and
host status differ.

That would be a harder case to solve I think, because of the way sync works
in spice-server (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/spice/spice/merge_requests/3)
as a toggle state, it's much harder to get the expected state reliably
(also because in the opposite case, i.e. the guess has changed the default
CAPS lock xkb option, simulating a [CAPSLock] key press as spice-server
does may not enable CAPS Lock in the guest either).

Cheers,
Olivier