[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v1 00/10] Flatpak + CI

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 16:29:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:03:45PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 03:08:36PM +0100, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > I am concern about distributing spice-gtk and spicy in new forms in
> > general. The .desktop is pretty much a no-go to me. The flatpak I
> > don't really understand what we need / want it for.
>
> I believe this is the main question to answer to move forward with that
> thread, what is the intended use case/who are the intended users of this
> spicy flatpak? For people hacking on spice-gtk, building manually from
> git will probably be faster/quicker. For people hitting bugs in
> virt-viewer/virt-manager/gnome boxes, asking them to try with a spicy
> flatpak is going to be less convenient than having a virt-viewer or
> boxes flatpak.
> So it's also not fully clear to be for which purpose this
> flatpak will be used.

Flatkpak is a installable. The goal is to install a testing
branch, wip. You can have those installed in parallel, which
makes easier to compare fixes/etc. You can easily share that with
users that are not knowledgable with building source code to
check if a given patch solves the problem for them (or if given
git:master has or not the bug from them), this is distro
agnostic.

I don't really want to do marketing for Flatpak here. What's the
trouble anyway if no one but one or two people use this? Spicy
and the flatpak is already in our source code for so long but now
it seems like an issue to make it easy to install it.