[Spice-devel] [RFC] streaming: Restart streams on video-codec changes

Kevin Pouget kpouget at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 08:31:47 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've prepared these two patches that enables "hot-swapping" of the
video-codec used for streaming. It goes along with the previous series
under review for client/admin modification of the preferred codec
list.

Before this patch, the preferred video codec list was change in
RedServerConfig->video_codecs and DisplayChannel->priv->video_codecs,
but the on-going encoding of video streams remained performed by the
original encoder/codec.

With this patch, we interrupt the streaming, similary to when a
timeout occurs. The stream is automatically restarted with the new
preferred codec.

This interruption has to be performed in two places: when the client
sets the preferred codecs, and when the admin changes the allowed
codec list.

Let me know if this is the right approach.

best regards,

Kevin