[Spice-devel] [spice] Enable mm_time adjustments on startup

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Fri May 3 10:12:49 UTC 2019

----- Original Message -----

I think the drop in mjpeg was done to reduce the time spent decoding,
if the decoding was taking too much dropping frame helped. This was
surely easy to implement in a single threaded application and is not
expected to cause issues on a video (more frames are expected) but
I would instead drop only if there's a pending frame.

> I personally would propose to avoid all that complicated computations
> between server and client.
> If every frame and audio piece is timed with a consistent monotonic time
> (and current they ARE) they can be consumed after ENCODING + TRANSMISSION
> + DECODING time. Now, all the parts have skews so to avoid scattering
> usually you attempt to have a minimum (that is the 400ms).
> Now it could be pretty simple for the client to compute the ENCODING +
> TRANSMISSION + DECODING values, just piece server_mm_time - piece_mm_time!
> Now: currently the server_mm_time we have is skewed and fluctuating but
> won't be hard to get a more consistent one (and easier to update!).
> The easy formula to compute the "minimum" is obviously the maximum of
> the previous TIMINGs (where TIMING == ENCODING + TRANSMISSION + DECODING)
> however this does not take into account that you can have peaks that
> will slow down everything forever. You usually wants to ignore peaks and
> look at more local average. Also you should take into account that we are
> human and you don't need a precision or milliseconds (well, this is more
> true for video than for audio... but simply consider that if you want a
> precision in ms in video you need 1000 FPS!).
>
> That said, back to the patch. Instead of just setting mm_time_enabled
> directly I would call reds_enable_mm_time, it's not in a hot path so
> the performances are not important, the main channel is just created
> so reds_send_mm_time will do nothing but you'll have a more consistent
> setting.

Oh, would also good to have this comment:

"Starting Xspice (so no Windows jingle or other being played on startup),
playing a WebGL demo, and then trying to figure out why the server's
latency adjustments had absolutely no effect on the client."

on the commit message, like

"We send mm_time adjustments to the client whenever there is no audio
playback. There is no audio playback on startup. Therefore
mm_time_enabled must be true on startup.

For instance to reproduce start Xspice (so no Windows jingle or other
being played on startup) and play a WebGL demo. You'll notice that
the server's latency adjustments had absolutely no effect on the client."

Frediano