[Spice-devel] Mac OSX Client

Huw O. Read hread at norwich.edu
Fri Nov 22 07:54:56 UTC 2019

Hello,
It appears that the bundle (http://people.freedesktop.org/~teuf/spice-gtk-osx/dmg/0.5.7/RemoteViewer-0.5.7-1.dmg) of RemoteViewer is having trouble running on newer versions of Mac OSX (at least for me). I’ve tried following the instructions on https://www.spice-space.org/osx-client.html but unfortunately some of the scripts appear a bit out of date (certain URLs they point to now go to 404s).

I was on macports looking for something, and stumbled across virt-viewer (https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=virt-viewer). Although it is version 0.7 (I believe 0.8 is the latest at the time of writing) it appears to work. Would it be possible to update the https://www.spice-space.org/osx-client.html website to suggest Spice users on Mac could install virt-viewer much easier with:

$sudo port install virt-viewer

And (on proxmox at least) then launch the client from the terminal with:
$remote-viewer /path/to/download.vv

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
    Huw

p.s. For the sake of it, after installing 0.7 as above, I removed it and tried installing 0.8 from the tarball https://releases.pagure.org/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-8.0.tar.gz  with:
$./configure –prefix=/opt/local && make && sudo make install
And it seemed to install ok, I was able to launch a VM through spice with 0.8.